Friday, May 30, 2008

Laundry detergent test


This is a test, this is only a test. If there would have been an actual emergency I would be running for cover. Just kidding!

I made a new batch of homemade laundry detergent, and today I tested it out. My little one was very sweet to get as dirty as possible. He had crackers, milk, ice cream, and of course spit up on his shirt. Can't forget that! This shirt had been sitting in the hamper for a few days before washing. This is the before picture: And now, the after:



I think it worked pretty good! I was just playing around with the recipe this time, so I wasn't quite sure how it would turn out. But so far, it looks like it works fine.

Here is my recipe:

3 bars soap-grated (I used Dial cause I got it on sale and it smells good)
2 quarts water-boiling
1 bottle Dawn dishwashing liquid
4 cups Borax
4 cups Washing Soda

You boil the water and add the grated soap and Dawn and stir until it's melted. Then you pour the soapy mixture into a 5 gallon bucket. Next, add the Borax and Washing Soda. Finally, add about 3 1/2 gallons of hot water and mix it with a big spoon. I used a half a cup to wash a load of clothes.

It will gel up, so you need to stir it when you use it. It almost filled the 5 gallon bucket. This was my first time using this recipe, so I don't know if I'll like it enough to keep using it, sometimes I like to try different things. But this should last for awhile!


2 comments:

Nash deVille said...

Hey that's pretty neat. I would never have the patience to do that but great job!

Kendra at Hand Prints On The Wall said...

I've been wondering how well this would work! Thanks for sharing!