Saturday, November 20, 2010

In Memory Of Jason

August 8, 1993-November 20, 2008
It's been 2 years since I got that phone call in the middle of the night. The one everyone dreads. 2 years since my nephew Jason died at the age of 15.

If you're new here, you may not know the story.  Jason had been experimenting with huffing. Huffing is the inhalation of chemical vapors to get high. Some things that are huffed are paint thinner, nail polish remover, gasoline, and cans of forced air, like Dust Off.  Jason had left a friend's house and was going back to his grandmother's house when he stopped by their shed and huffed some gasoline.  That was the night he died.

His mom found out he was huffing not long before he died.  He had just went to his second counseling session that day.  If she had known that would be his last day, she would have done anything to save him.  I urge you, if you know any preteens or teenagers, please let them knowing huffing is NOT safe.  Let them know it CAN KILL!  If you know of someone who is huffing, please make sure they get the help they need before it's too late!

In memory of Jason Moree

11 comments:

Buttercup said...

Nancy, this must be such a difficult time for you and your family. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

I can not imagine what your family goes through each time this date comes around....all the memories that once again re-surface....

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

~Beth

Cheryl said...

I remenber when this happen and it was heart breaking. Kids just don't relize the possible results sometimes. My prayers are with you and the fmaily.
~cheryl~

Barb J. said...

He looks so happy in that photo. I hope that is how you and Wendy and the rest of his family will always be able to remember him. It's a tragedy, but hopefully he's in a much better place now - and he'll always be happy and laughing.

Grace on the Narrow Path said...

I have heard of this before. God bless you my friend . . . you and your family are in my prayers. I hope we can meet soon.
Blessings,
Bren

Beth.. One Blessed Nana said...

oh, that is so sad. i am so sorry for your loss my friend, but thank you for trying to spread the word about and help others..

Mildred said...

Hi Nancy, I know this is a difficult time. My heartfelt sympathy to each of you and thank you for sharing this story to help save others.

Tipper said...

I'm so sorry for you all-I remember when you first talked about his death-and I know even time doesn't make that kind of pain go away.

You think huffing isn't such a big problem-but it is-an older girl who was in college recently died from it here.

Carol/Firecrackerkid said...

You have my sympathy Nancy. For you and your family. Such a tragic loss.

A blog by the "Farmer" said...

Hi Nancy!

I just found your blog today - I have enjoyed reading through your older posts.

I am so sorry about the loss of Jason. Huffing, unfortunately, has become more and more popular due to it's: a) cheap, and b) readily available. Am so glad you are sending out prevention information on your blog... Again, sorry this has touched your family.

I will continue enjoying your blog.

Farmer

Brandy said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your nephew, glad you are sharing huffing with people. Few probably even know about it. I had a father who was very open about drugs and such. Luckily for me he had a pretty touch child hood and Knows a lot about various drugs ppl do/have done, so I always had gone to him to talk about drugs before trying them. I never knew and still don't know anyone who huffs, I didn't even know people still did it. I am so sorry! ((HUGS))